A new Yahoo research study reveals that approximately 50% of tweets consumed come from only around 20,000 Twitter users. The study classifies Twitter users as ‘elite’ – including media, celebrities, organizations and bloggers – and ‘ordinary’ (everyone else).
- media users produce the most information
- celebrities are the most followed
- celebrities ‘overwhelmingly’ listen to other celebrities
- bloggers listen to other bloggers
- bloggers generally rebroadcast more information than the other categories
- ‘elite’ users generate significantly more retweets than ‘ordinary’ users
The researchers also conclude that Twitter resembles an “information-sharing hub” more than a social network, as reported by Mashable.
Read the full Yahoo research study here: “Who Says What to Whom on Twitter”