- Media Fragmentation: 3 Strategies For How Business Marketers Can Keep Up Aug 1st, 2014
The pervasiveness of social media, the continued digitization of content, and the fragmentation of media platforms have given consumers and business decision makers a bewilderingly broad array of offline and online sources—creating significant challenges for marketers when it comes to measuring audiences and effectively targeting prospects throughout a decision-making process. Welcome to the era of media sprawl.
- Social Networking Stats: Twitter's User Growth Exceeds Expectations, #RLTM Scoreboard Jul 31st, 2014
Twitter recently announced its second quarter results for 2014, with both revenue and user growth surpassing analyst expectations. After two quarters in a row showing decelerating user growth, this quarter's results offered great news for Twitter. The number of Twitter's monthly active users topped 271 million (higher than the 267 million expected by analysts), for a year-over-year growth of 24%.
- 75% of Apps Are Used At Least Seven Times Per Month Jul 29th, 2014
As users spend more internet hours on mobile apps than online on PCs and laptops, is has become essential for brands to reach their costumers using mobile. So how can brands measure the success of their app? The number of downloads is a useful metric, but it's just a starting point: of those who download the app, how many are retained, and how often are they opening the app? According to new data released by mobile marketing firm Swrve, the average retention rate (the average number of times an app is used), shows just over a quarter of users return to an app within 48 hours of first opening it.
- Social Networking Stats: Facebook Tops 1.32 Billion Monthly Active Users, #RLTM Scoreboard Jul 25th, 2014
The results are in from Facebook's second quarter, with huge gains in mobile. Check out the details here, along with the latest in social networking statistics.
- Customer Satisfaction: Social Media Websites Rank Among The Worst Jul 22nd, 2014
How satisfied are consumers with social media sites? Today, the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) released its yearly E-Business Report, which takes an in-depth look at user satisfaction with social media, as well as portals and search engines, and news and opinion websites.
- Social Networking Stats: Global Spending on Facebook Ads Increases 50%, #RLTM Scoreboard Jul 21st, 2014
Facebook advertising is flourishing according to new data from Kenshoo; quarterly spend on Facebook advertising increased 51% year-over-year in the second quarter of 2014. Spending on search engine advertising also saw an increase of 25% year-over-year, with click-through rates at "an all-time high."
- Most-Tweeted Sports Event In History: Germany vs. Brazil Jul 10th, 2014
During Tuesday's semi-final match, where Germany dominated host nation Brazil with a 7-1 victory, tweets reached a peak volume of 530,166 tweets per minute - making it the most talked about sporting event in Twitter history. The match itself generated 35.6 millions tweets total.
- Social Networking Stats: Faster Growth Predicted for Twitter, #RLTM Scoreboard Jul 3rd, 2014
A new report from Evercore predicts a "strong possibility" that Twitter's growth will speed up in the second quarter of this year, helped by millions of tweets from the 2014 World Cup. Here's the latest on Twitter, plus this week's #RLTM Scoreboard.
- Social Networking Stats: Twitter Sees Over 300 Million Tweets Around #WorldCup, #RLTM Scoreboard Jun 27th, 2014
Twitter recently announced that in the first 15 days of the World Cup tournament, there have been over 300 million tweets related to #WorldCup. Check out more Twitter stats from the #WorldCup, and catch up on the latest social media statistics with the #RLTM Scoreboard.
- 77% Of Company Mentions On Social Media Are Neutral Jun 25th, 2014
Contrary to popular belief, most company mentions on social networks are linked not to a positive or negative message, but a neutral one. Analyzing more than 1 billion global company mentions, realtime monitoring app mention found that 77% of company mentions were in fact neutral.
- Health And Fitness Apps See 62% Increase In Usage In Last Six Months Jun 24th, 2014
Usage of health and fitness apps has grown exponentially since 2013. Looking at data from over 6,800 iPhone and iPad apps listed under the health and fitness category, Flurry Analytics reports a 62%…
- Social Networking Stats: 21% Of Online Video Is Now Mobile, #RLTM Scoreboard Jun 20th, 2014
21% of all online video-plays globally were completed through mobile devices in the first quarter of the year, according to video technology company Ooyala. In 2012, that figure was at 3.4%; in 2013 it was 9%. The massive growth in online video consumption via mobile devices has changed the paradigm in content availability. Since 2012, mobile and tablet video viewership is up 532%.
- World Cup Social Media Fever: 53% of US Smartphone Users Plan To Use Facebook To Discuss The Games Jun 19th, 2014
With the 2014 World Cup in full swing, it has become evident that soccer has taken over social media, especially when it comes to Facebook. Facebook remains the preferred outlet for fans to…
- Social Networking Stats: World Cup Draws 58 Million Facebook Users On First Day, #RLTM Scoreboard Jun 16th, 2014
During the first day of World Cup 2014, over 58 million Facebook users accounted for more than 140 million interactions on the social network. See more stats on World Cup social interactions, and the latest numbers for the major social networks on the #RLTM Scoreboard:
- 20% Of Apps Are Opened Only Once Jun 11th, 2014
So your brand has created a useful, engaging app for consumers, and seen a significant number of downloads. That's great -- except you don't know how often consumers are actually using the app. New data from Localytics finds that one in five apps are only opened once -- and compared to previous years, that's actually a good thing.
- Social Networking Stats: Millennials Are 56% More Likely To Find Brand Content On Social Networks Jun 6th, 2014
The average millennial checks their smartphone about 45 times a day, and is 56% more likely to find brand content on social networks than on search engines or other online news feeds, according to a recent study. Check out the study highlights on millennials and content discovery, and the latest social networking stats on the #RLTM Scoreboard.
- Asia-Pacific Will Account For One-Third of All Twitter Users In 2014 Jun 4th, 2014
The number of Twitter users worldwide is projected to increase by nearly 25% in 2014, according to new estimates from eMarketer. This year, the Asia-Pacific region will make up one-third of all Twitter users - well above North America's 24%. However, U.S. Twitter users still account for nearly three-quarters of Twitter's overall ad revenues.
- Social Networking Stats: Tumblr Draws Youngest Users Among Top 10 Social Platforms, #RLTM Scoreboard May 30th, 2014
Among the top 10 global social platforms, Tumblr has the greatest share of younger users, with 47% of active users in the 16-24 year-old demographic. Guess which social network has the oldest user base?
- 73% of Chinese Adults Online Are Using WeChat May 28th, 2014
Local social networks and apps dominate China's internet audience, including Qzone, Sina Weibo, Tencent Weibo and WeChat. But some users are finding ways to access banned sites - like Facebook and Google+ - through mobile.
- WhatsApp Now Used By 19% of Global Online Audience May 22nd, 2014
WhatsApp is the third biggest social app - even more popular than Facebook Messenger - according to recent research by GlobalWebIndex. Check out which countries have the highest percentage of WhatsApp users:
- Social Networking Stats: Active Usage Drops For Facebook and Twitter, #RLTM Scoreboard May 16th, 2014
Which social networks do you think are seeing the most growth? New data from GlobalWebIndex looks at active usage for several platforms, showing a decline for some of the largest platforms, but also huge gains for Instagram and Tumblr.
- Snapchat Now Biggest U.S. Messaging App By Volume, Beats WhatsApp May 15th, 2014
There are many different ways to measure the success of social networks; while we most often focus on user numbers and growth, there's also value in determining the pure amount of messages or data being sent through a particular platform. New data from Sandvine finds that according to this metric - volume of messages - the ephemeral messaging service Snapchat is dominating competitor WhatsApp.
- Social Networking Stats: Moms on Facebook, #RLTM Scoreboard May 12th, 2014
In celebration of Mother's Day, the Facebook Data Science team took a look at some basic stats for moms on Facebook. Check out those numbers, and also the latest social networking statistics across all major platforms.
- 76% of Mobile Video Ads Are Viewed In-App [Study] May 7th, 2014
Mobile video is rapidly becoming the new darling of the digital advertising world, and the Mobile Marketing Association (MMA) recently conducted its first Mobile Video Benchmark Study to examine mobile video performance. The results show very high completion rates - over 90% - for mobile video.
- Social Networking Stats: Mobile Accounts for 43% of LinkedIn's Traffic, #RLTM Scoreboard May 2nd, 2014
LinkedIn recently projected that mobile would account for half of the social networking platform's traffic; based on the company's 1st quarter results, that could be a reality soon. Mobile represented 43% of LinkedIn's traffic in Q1 2014, according to the results announced yesterday.
- 80% of Twitter's Ad Revenue Comes From Mobile Apr 30th, 2014
Twitter just announced its first quarter earnings report for 2014, with impressive gains in advertising: total revenue grew 119% year-over-year, with 90% of those earnings coming from advertising. Of that advertising revenue, a huge chunk - 80% - came from mobile.
- BuzzFeed Videos Earn Over 1 Billion Views Apr 29th, 2014
On Monday, BuzzFeed's first presentation at NewFronts had a strong focus on video. The site has produced 1600 videos since September 2012; those videos have earned over 1.1 billion views on YouTube.
- Social Networking Stats: Facebook Tops 1 Billion Users on Mobile, #RLTM Scoreboard Apr 25th, 2014
On Wednesday, Facebook announced that more than one billion users now access the social network on mobile devices every month. Find out more stats from Facebook's first quarter earnings call, and then check out the latest social networking numbers on the #RLTM Scoreboard.
- WhatsApp Hits 500 Million Active Users Apr 23rd, 2014
Mobile messaging service WhatsApp just topped 500 million active users, according to the company's blog post yesterday. Users are sending 700 million photos and 100 million videos, every single day.
- LinkedIn Tops 300 Million Users Apr 21st, 2014
LinkedIn has reached a new milestone, announcing over 300 million members on the 'professional' social network -- and over half of these members are from outside the U.S.
- Half of IT Decision Makers Use Social Media To Make Buying Decisions, #RLTM Scoreboard Apr 18th, 2014
How much does social media influence business technology buyers? According to new research from Tap, out of a projected 4.9 million U.S. decision makers in the tech business, more than half (2.8 million) use social media to make work-related IT decisions. Then check out this week's #RLTM Scoreboard with all the latest social networking numbers.
- Which Airlines Are Most Responsive On Twitter? Apr 17th, 2014
Which airline brands are the most responsive on Twitter? New data from SocialBakers looks at the difference between the amount of answered and unanswered questions - on Twitter only - among major airlines.
- Social Networking Stats: Teens Prefer Instagram Over Facebook, #RLTM Scoreboard Apr 11th, 2014
Instagram is on the rise as the favorite social network for teens, but this increased popularity is coming at Facebook and Twitter's expense, according to new data from Piper Jaffray. This was the first time in the survey's history that Instagram outranked Facebook and Twitter as the most important social network for this demographic.
- Which Social Networks Drive the Most Engaged Referrals? Apr 11th, 2014
YouTube is the "undisputed champion" among social networks in terms of driving referrals, delivering the most traffic and the highest levels of engagement, according to a new study from Shareaholic. The analysis of average visit duration, pages per visit and bounce rate reveals which of the top eight social media platforms are driving the best referral traffic.
- Social Networks See Majority of Traffic Coming From Mobile Apr 9th, 2014
Mobile is accounting for a huge portion of social networking use; for newer platforms like Instagram, Snapchat and Vine, use is "almost exclusively mobile." Recent research from the comScore Data Mine compares desktop vs. mobile usage for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, Vine and Snapchat.
- Do Americans Trust Facebook? Apr 4th, 2014
A recent poll reveals how much trust Americans place in Facebook, as compared to Google, the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Social Networking Stats: Complaints Total One-Fifth of Brand Interactions on Facebook, Twitter Apr 3rd, 2014
In Converseon's recent analysis of direct user interactions with leading brands on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, "exactly one-fifth of user interaction on both Facebook and Twitter was negative." Find more brand sentiment analysis here, and the latest social networking numbers with the #RLTM Scoreboard.
- WhatsApp Hits New Milestone, Then Crashes Apr 2nd, 2014
Late yesterday WhatsApp tweeted that the messaging service has hit a new daily record: users sent 20 billion messages and received 44 billion messages in just one day. That's some pretty impressive volume for WhatsApp, which was recently acquired by Facebook back in February.
- YouTube Commands 50% of Time Spent On Mobile Entertainment Apps Apr 2nd, 2014
How much time are Americans spending on mobile apps, and which are the most popular? A new study from Flurry takes a look at how apps are dominating mobile, and Google and Facebook are commanding lots of our time on mobile.
- Facebook Ranks #1 for Social Commerce, But Only #4 for Average Order Value Apr 1st, 2014
Just how much does social media impact e-commerce? And which social media platforms are driving the most sales? A new study by Shopify looks at top sources of social traffic and sales, as well as average order values and conversion rates. The (not so) big news: Facebook is on top, claiming an average of 85% of all orders on social media and nearly two-thirds of all visits to Shopify stores.