Check out this week’s summary of all the latest social media news, including changes and new features for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Tumblr and Apple:
- Facebook adds more ‘News’ to News Feed to become more Twitter-like – Facebook is now promoting more ‘real news’ posted by users; the social network’s news-feed algorithm will now expose more links to articles from media organizations — especially on mobile (AdAge)
- Google makes its own social ads, with a twist – Google+ debuts ‘+Post’ ads; brand posts on the social network are turned into ads, which will run on sites (but not on Google+ itself) that use Google’s “massive” ad network (AllThingsD)
- Twitter announces “Tailored Audiences” for ad retargeting – Twitter has officially launched its ad-retargeting product globally; businesses advertising on Twitter can target users who have visited their website (TechCrunch)
- New Tumblr mobile ad gives brands trendy position – Tumblr debuted its second mobile ad format, introducing Sponsored Trending Blog placements for brands looking to post messages via Tumblr’s mobile app (AdWeek)
- Apple buys Topsy, a social media analytics firm – last week Apple acquired Topsy Labs, a research company that analyzes tweets; Apple would not disclose the “purpose or plans” behind the acquisition (The New York Times)
Any social media updates that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!