That’s why we’ve decided to create a new weekly feature: The Social Media News Ticker. Every Monday, we will post a digest of the latest social media news from the previous week in a quick summary format. Odds are, you’ll have seen some of these stories–but we hope it will be useful to have all the latest news listed in one place to make sure you’re keeping up.
Let us know what you think!
- Facebook’s new Nearby service helps with local search — here’s how to use it (Lisa Mason)
- Facebook is testing a new module that recommends similar pages after users click like on a page — the social network organically recommends “More Pages You May Like” (Inside Facebook)
- Suggested Page Ads in News Feed: Facebook is trying out a feature that allows advertisers promote their pages to non-fans (AdWeek)
- Facebook introduces a universal gift card you can reload for different retailers — users can buy gifts for Facebook friends – from multiple retailers – that are all available on one reusable card (Inside Facebook)
- Twitter buys app developer tool Crashlytics that helps developers troubleshoot and find errant code in their apps (MediaPost)
- G+ adds page manager dashboard to help users gain greater control over their profile, with greater functionality and basic analytics tools (Brafton)
- Pinterest introduces ‘News’ feature to improve content discovery and will roll it out to users over the next few weeks (Mashable)
- Pinterest is currently working on a redesign — see a preview, and send in your information if you want to be among the first to try it out (AllThingsD)
- Foursquare now links to businesses’ Twitter accounts on cross-posted check-ins — check out this “small tweak that could make a big difference for businesses” (WebProNews)
- Quora launches new blogging platform — contributors to the site can now create their own blogs in addition to answering questions (Fast Company)
Any updates to social media platforms that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!