"Informers" get more followers on Twitter

Two Rutgers communication and information professors, Mor Naaman and Jeffrey Boase, studied the content of 3,000 tweets sent by 350 Twitter users and found that there tend to be two types of Twitter folks. The majority, or 80 percent, were what they called “meformers” — Twitter users who sent out messages that revolved around themselves, updating others about their activities or sharing thoughts and feelings. The other 20 percent are “informers” — people who were actually sharing information. Not surprisingly, the informers tended to have larger social networks and be more interactive.  Full story in Miami Herald.