Check out this week’s summary of all the latest social media news, including changes and new features for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and WhatsApp:
- Facebook launches its 15-second, auto-playing video ads – Facebook started testing video ads last fall and now a ‘select group of advertisers’ will be placing the 15-second video ads on the platform; the ads will autoplay without sound, or, if tapped by a user, expand and add volume (TechCrunch)
- Facebook updates design for Business Pages – last week, Facebook’s desktop version rolled out an updated design for brand pages; the updates are designed to make it easier for brands and businesses to manage their presence on the site (MediaPost)
- Twitter is adding Promoted Account tweets, with follow buttons, to desktop Timelines – Promoted Accounts now appear on desktop Timelines; users can follow the account directly with a button embedded in the Tweet (TechCrunch)
- Twitter tests a ‘Click-to-Call’ button for ads – Twitter is constantly testing new features; the latest is a ‘click-to-call’ button that allows users to directly reach advertisers via telephone (The Wall Street Journal)
- Pinterest promotes Product Pins, debuts Gifts feed – Pinterest launched a new Gifts feed that only shows Product Pins, which include pricing, availability and where an item can be purchased (MediaPost)
- WhatsApp for Android update lets users pay for their friends’ subscriptions – recent Facebook acquisition WhatsApp released an Android update that adds privacy-related features and now allows to users to pay for their friends’ or families’ subscriptions (TechCrunch)
Any social media updates that we missed? Let us know in the comments below.