MediaBistro’s E.B. Boyd has interviewed NPR’s social media strategist Andy Carvin and produced a great case study for how Twitter and Facebook can be used by news organizations to
- report on breaking stories
- use Twitter Lists to provide access to credible sources
- find and vet sources to provide on-the ground insight and analyis
- ask the community for assistance in reporting a story
- use Facebook to collect personal stories to illustrate the news
The main take-away? You have to build up your social media cred over time in order to reap dividends when news breaks.