Facebook has updated its official statistics page with new numbers that show big increases in users engaging on external sites. First, the latest on-site stats–these have not changed from the last time the site updated this page in October. Facebook now claims:
- More than 500 million active users
- 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
The amount of content these users are generating is staggering:
- Over 900 million objects (pages, groups, events and community pages) that people interact with
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
- Facebook users install 20 million applications every day
But the reach of the platform now extends far beyond the site itself. Facebook now claims:
- More than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites every month — using Connect, the Like button or other integrations.
- More than two million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites
- An average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook every day since social plugins launched in April 2010
The company also claims more than one million developers and entrepreneurs from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform.